Updated: March 14, 2022
The Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha (2021) star, Shin Mina, is officially 21 as a celebrity today. Here are four interesting facts about her:
1. She is a model-turned-actress.
Shin Mina began her model career in 1998, appearing in ad campaigns and magazines such as Giordano, Elle Korea, Rag & Bone, to name a few. It is reported that she is one of the most in-demand and highest paid commercial endorsers in South Korea. She was also featured in the style magazine of The New York Times and appeared in several K-pop music videos.
She is still presently active in modeling, appearing in various ads and campaigns such as Givenchy Beauty, W Korea, Dazed Korea, Allure Korea, Couronne, Roger Vivier (French luxury accessories), Elle Singapore, Cosmopolitan Korea, Elle Korea, The North Face Korea, and a lot more. In fact, she was named as the new global brand ambassador for Gucci in November 2021.
Shin Mina graduated at Dong Gook University with a degree on Performing Arts and began her acting debut in 2001. She made the natural step towards stardom, portraying supporting to main roles in various genres, both in movies and television series.
Her works for 21 years as an actress include the following:
- 2001: Volcano High (movie), Beautiful Days (TV series)
- 2003: Madeleine (movie), A Bittersweet Life (movie), Punch (TV series)
- 2005: A Sad Movie (movie), The Beast and the Beauty (movie), A Love To Kill (TV series)
- 2007: My Mighty Princess (movie), The Devil (TV series)
- 2008: Go Go 70s (movie)
- 2009: The Naked Kitchen (movie), Sisters on the Road (movie), A Million (movie), Mina’s French Diary (travel program)
- 2010: My Girlfriend Is A Nine-Tailed Fox (TV series)
- 2012: Arang And The Magistrate (TV series)
- 2013: The X (movie)
- 2014: Gyeongju (movie), My Love, My Bride (movie)
- 2015: Oh My Venus (TV series)
- 2016: A Quiet Dream (movie camero role)
- 2017: Tomorrow, With You (TV series)
- 2019: Chief Of Staff (TV series)
- 2020: Diva (movie)
- 2021: Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha (TV series)
- 2022: Our Blues (TV series)
2. She can sing.
Shin Mina is a total package. Aside from modelling and acting, she can also sing. She has participated as a vocalist in several singles and soundtracks. Her songs are as follows:
- 2003: “Oppa, I Love You” and “Pray for Yoo-bin” for Punch OST
- 2008: “My Happy Day” for You Hee-yeol – Summer Days and “Night Train” for Go Go 70s OST
- 2009: “A Year Later” for The Naked Kitchen OST) and “Miracle Blue” for Loveholics – In the Air
- 2010: “Sha la la” and “I Can Give You All” for My Girlfriend Is a Nine-Tailed Fox OST
- 2012: “Black Moon” for Arang and the Magistrate OST
3. She is an award-winning Korean celebrity.
Shin Mina is a pure goddess of talent and good personality. No wonder she shines in her field. Out of 29 nominations, she has obtained 21 wins as a celebrity, including the following:
- 2003 New Star Award (SBS Drama Awards)
- 2006 Dior Timeless Beauty Award
- 2008 Best Supporting Actress for The Devil (4th University Film Festival of Korea)
- 2009 Best Actress for Go Go 70s (6th Max Movie Awards and 17th Chunsa Film Art Awards)
- 2009 Female Fashionista (2nd Style Icon Awards)
- 2009 Hot Fashionista (3rd Mnet 20’s Choice Awards)
- 2010 Good Model Award (Korean Advertisers Association Awards)
- 2010 Style Icon Actress for TV (3rd Style Icon Awards)
- 2010 Excellence Award, Actress in a Drama Special for My Girlfriend Is A Nine-Tailed Fox (SBS Drama Awards)
- 2010 Best Couple with Lee Seung-gi for My Girlfriend Is A Nine-Tailed Fox (SBS Drama Awards)
- 2010 Top 10 Stars (SBS Drama Awards)
- 2010 Best CF Model (7th TVCF Awards)
- 2011 Beauty Icon of the Year (1st Cosmo Beauty Awards)
- 2011 Presidential Commendation (45th Taxpayers’ Day)
- 2012 Best Couple with Le Joongi for Arang And The Magistrate (MBC Drama Awards)
- 2015 Special Jury Prize for Gyeongju (MBC Drama Awards)
- 2015 InStyle Fashionista Award (51st Baeksang Arts Awards)
- 2015 Excellence Award, Actress in a Miniseries for Oh My Venus (KBS Drama Awards)
- 2015 Best Couple with So Ji-sub for Oh My Venus (KBS Drama Awards)
- 2016 Outstanding Korean Actress for Oh My Venus (11th Seoul International Drama Awards)
4. Her relationship with long-time boyfriend Kim Woo-bin is going strong.
Shin Mina and Kim Woo-bin were both brand ambassadors for Giordano in 2015 where they first met and worked together as models. They have been together for six years now since their agencies officially confirmed their relationship status in the same year.
Amid hectic schedules and despite working separately for different TV series, the couple’s relationship appears to be going strong. They even express love and support for each other’s projects by sending food trucks on the set. During the taping of Shin Mina’s drama, Chief Of Staff (2019), Kim Woo-bin sent her a food truck with a message that says, “I support all the staff and cast, especially Shin Mina.”
When Kim Woo-bin was diagnosed with a nasopharyngeal cancer in 2017, Shin Mina was reported to be the actor’s faithful companion in going to the hospital for the series of radiation treatment. The actor was on hiatus for two years to focus on therapy and was reported to have recovered completely from the cancer in 2020.
Unlike other celebrities, Shin Mina and Kim Woo-bin do not share their personal lives as a couple on their Instagram accounts. For six years, they have managed to keep a low-key relationship, away from the spotlight. Amid several break-up rumors, entertainment outlets have reported that they might tie the knot soon. But none has been confirmed yet.
Meanwhile, the couple is working together for the first time in a new healing drama, entitled, Our Blues. It will premiere on April 9 through tvN and Netflix.
Happy 21 years, Shin Mina!
Cover photo: Shin Mina